#Jesus #Yeshua #JesusChrist #bible #biblestudy #Sundayschool
We are looking at what is a disciple. We are having a discussion in our Sunday School class at Christ Community Church of Ocala FL.
For details and handouts go here:
Go to biblestudycompay.com and sign up and join the group.
The video starts at 3:13 thus you will want to rewind it to 0
See full post & comments
#hebrewroots #yeshua #Messianicjudaism #keepthelaw #lawkeeping #performancebased
READ THIS BEFORE WATCHING
Our series will include:
A. Our introduction for what is in the series and updates about Biblestudycompany.com
B. Next week: Dr. Daniel Goepfrich from Theology for Everyone will discuss the covenants and how the church should look at the New Testament covenant. His viewpoint is helpful to know why churches say, "The law was nailed to the cross." He debunks and clarifies for us.
C. The week after, Dr. Baruch Korman of Loveisrael.org gives excellent balance and answers tough questions
D. The final podcast will be Mary, and I am recapping our way forward and gives us tools from a proper biblical study process.
So why do this series? Some in this Mosaic law-keeping movement are referred to as the: Hebrew Roots Movement (HRM). However, law-keeping is also in some legalistic churches as well, usually called performance-based to get God to "move" on their behalf, if we do the "right things in the right way". Or we develop traditions and regulations that are not biblical but unique to our group. The problem with these views is the subtle shift away from a focus on Christ. Our eyes must be on Him as Paul said in 1 Cor 2:2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.
The Torah was part of a covenant with Israel after God miraculously created a nation from Egypt to keep His promise to Abraham. The Sinai covenant is detailed for the daily life the Israelites were to live in the promised land. The "promised land" can be a symbol of the Bible we have today. As Christian, we can submit our hearts and will to the Word of God to live praiseworthy to God in our daily lives. Why? Because we have the entire Bible at our disposal from Genesis to Revelation and the Holy Spirit to search out our motives where sin resides.
We were in Charismatic groups that were focused on "doing something great for God". We were part of Messianic Judaism which focused on worship-like services of Judaism and that is where we heard of TorakhKeeping groups and people. "You must keep the sabbath, you must eat Kosher, and those that do not, are all lawbreakers and many more rules apply. How do we find our way through this morass and pressure to conform? These are our questions too. But all of this changed as we learned proper biblical study principles to please God.
The extraordinary thing about people caught up in these movements is that we all have several things in common:
1. A love for God, and they wish to please Him and thus do not want to miss anything He has to offer, and least of all, disobey Him. Obeying the Mosaic law can set people up to a type of bondage based on someone's (a leader's) interpretation of the Bible. Keeping the Mosaic law will depend on the group and leader's interpretation of what to do. But is our walk with God about what we "do" or is it about Him working through us? Have we taken our eyes off of Christ and onto the Torah that is pointing to Christ? Yes. Do we learn and study from all of the Bible? Yes. Shall we keep our eyes on Christ? Yes!
2. A misunderstanding of proper biblical study methods by taking the Bible in the Old Testament and applying it to obey today rather than the principles Scripture is trying to teach us. Suitable Bible study methods can help us sort this out. Today we are focused on learning lessons from the law (the whole Bible) to please God. Here is a course link for how to get started studying the Bible with proper methods: https://biblestudycompany.com/blog/article/207
3. Nearly everywhere in the Bible, even in the New Testament, the word "law" is interpreted as "Mosaic law," thus, a bias is created TO OBEY THE MOSAIC Law when none exists. By stating this comment many will get their "hackles up" but we ask you to watch and pray through the whole series before coming to a conclusion. Christ referred to the "Law and the Prophets." However, the Samaritans were only focused on the Torah as mentioned in John 4 which we think is interesting. And Torah Keepers are bound to keep the Torah that the Jewish people could not. Why? It was done in our effort not the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit was only given after Christ rose from the dead. We now can keep all of God's Holy Word through Him because we are in Him. Eph 1-2.
4. A disdain for current Christian churches and practices, which they assume are anti-Law and even pagan! We will sort through this as well. We are the body of Christ. All those who call themselves by Christ's name and are saved. We best be careful to not go against "His Body" on earth. Criticism of a local body is fine if done in love but let us be careful with the logical fallacy of "sweeping generalizations".
5. A misunderstanding of the Grace of God as a license to sin. If one preaches the grace of God that is interpreted as approving sin. When in reality, Titus 2:11-12 shows us that the Holy Spirit will "teach" us away from ungodliness. How do we know what is ungodly? Through the Whole Counsel of God (Bible). The New Testament, written by Christ's direct representatives, the Apostles, gives us an interpretation of the Old Testament! If you are in the Grace of God, you are turning FROM sin...not TO sin BY HIS CHANGING POWER, not our performances to do the law or a program.
6. Today, or in this particular time, after the Cross of our Lord, we are under His blood and have forgiveness of our sin. We can now give Him a gift. We can offer, at the feet of His Throne, our will and our life. He is our Creator and Savior. Read Ephesians Chapter 1, 2, 3 for some hope and change of our position from doing to being.
7. Are you in a group like this? No worries. Remember, always follow the Holy Spirit's leading not men. Put all the teaching you hear against the Word of God. He will lead you. Psalm 23. Feel free to ask God questions and to contact us. We will be happy to help you sort this out.
We will explore these areas of concern that have caused many to become ensnared. None of what we write or say should offend anyone. If we do, please remember that we were caught up in some of these groups, as well. But because we wanted to study Scripture to live a praiseworthy life to God, He led us to correct Biblical study principles. Join us for this podcast. Please share!See full post & comments