#Romans #biblestudy #bible #Cancer #Cancersucks
Erv and I are doing bible study together on Romans. Here are some of the things you will learn.
1. The real reason Christ saves us
2. What is an apostle?
3. The giant change of mind in Paul's life about the Lord Jesus Christ
4 Being a bondservant of our Creator
5. Hope for gentiles
6. What is grace, and why do we need it?
Sad news: Erv's cancer has spread. The pancreatic cancer is in remission but has moved to the liver and limp glands. He has just started a long series of chemotherapy, but Erv is in good spirits and hopeful. The chemo helped with his pancreatic cancer, and the Docs say this will help too. But you can help. First, with prayer for help and healing. Second, he has to pay $300 per treatment for 26 treatments, and his insurance will not cover it, and he is on a limited income. Can you go to the gofundme and donate? Will you share this post and recommend people donate and pray? https://gofund.me/b5f6f9ab
See full post & comments
Erv came to Christ over a year ago, and this is his testimony. https://youtu.be/LkqL4FZLP8E
#hebrewroots #yeshua #Messianicjudaism #torah #bible #torahkeeping #keepingtorah #keepthelaw #lawkeeping #performancebased #lawofmoses
Our discussion today is with Dr. Daniel Goepfrich, a pastor, theologian, professor, author, and Greek scholar. He runs a website called: Theology is for everyone. Click the link below for more information and resources. His book on Discipleship should be in everyone's library.
Highlights of the interview:
1. Dr. Goepfrich gem of a statement: "Christ was not the atonement for our sin...HE PAID FOR IT ALL. Christ gave us the great exchange. He took our sin to the cross, paid the price for our sin that we could not, and then gave us His righteousness. Thus it is as if we never sinned! Do we keep on sinning? No, because the power of the Holy Spirit is to train us away from ungodliness (Titus 2:11-12)
2. Goepfrich gem #2: Jewish people, before Messiah came, had to go to the temple. WE ARE THE TEMPLE!
3. Goeprich gem #3: Christ didn't abolish the law; HE COMPLETED IT! We have a new beginning with the Holy Spirit inside of us.
4. Goepfrich gem #4 We are not under the Mosaic law. We are under the law of Christ!
5. Goepfrich gem #5 Should Christians keep the Shabbat? It is wise to have a day of rest. So the "spirit" of Shabbat is to be dependent on God every day, but a day of rest is important. The "church" is not a nation as Israel was.
6. Where does the church appear in the Old Testament? Hint...oops, watch the video or podcast.
7. Daniel discusses his version of Biblical study principles.
Please, like and subscribe, and share.See full post & comments
#hebrewroots #yeshua #Messianicjudaism #keepthelaw #lawkeeping #performancebased
READ THIS BEFORE WATCHING
Our series will include:
A. Our introduction for what is in the series and updates about Biblestudycompany.com
B. Next week: Dr. Daniel Goepfrich from Theology for Everyone will discuss the covenants and how the church should look at the New Testament covenant. His viewpoint is helpful to know why churches say, "The law was nailed to the cross." He debunks and clarifies for us.
C. The week after, Dr. Baruch Korman of Loveisrael.org gives excellent balance and answers tough questions
D. The final podcast will be Mary, and I am recapping our way forward and gives us tools from a proper biblical study process.
So why do this series? Some in this Mosaic law-keeping movement are referred to as the: Hebrew Roots Movement (HRM). However, law-keeping is also in some legalistic churches as well, usually called performance-based to get God to "move" on their behalf, if we do the "right things in the right way". Or we develop traditions and regulations that are not biblical but unique to our group. The problem with these views is the subtle shift away from a focus on Christ. Our eyes must be on Him as Paul said in 1 Cor 2:2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.
The Torah was part of a covenant with Israel after God miraculously created a nation from Egypt to keep His promise to Abraham. The Sinai covenant is detailed for the daily life the Israelites were to live in the promised land. The "promised land" can be a symbol of the Bible we have today. As Christian, we can submit our hearts and will to the Word of God to live praiseworthy to God in our daily lives. Why? Because we have the entire Bible at our disposal from Genesis to Revelation and the Holy Spirit to search out our motives where sin resides.
We were in Charismatic groups that were focused on "doing something great for God". We were part of Messianic Judaism which focused on worship-like services of Judaism and that is where we heard of TorakhKeeping groups and people. "You must keep the sabbath, you must eat Kosher, and those that do not, are all lawbreakers and many more rules apply. How do we find our way through this morass and pressure to conform? These are our questions too. But all of this changed as we learned proper biblical study principles to please God.
The extraordinary thing about people caught up in these movements is that we all have several things in common:
1. A love for God, and they wish to please Him and thus do not want to miss anything He has to offer, and least of all, disobey Him. Obeying the Mosaic law can set people up to a type of bondage based on someone's (a leader's) interpretation of the Bible. Keeping the Mosaic law will depend on the group and leader's interpretation of what to do. But is our walk with God about what we "do" or is it about Him working through us? Have we taken our eyes off of Christ and onto the Torah that is pointing to Christ? Yes. Do we learn and study from all of the Bible? Yes. Shall we keep our eyes on Christ? Yes!
2. A misunderstanding of proper biblical study methods by taking the Bible in the Old Testament and applying it to obey today rather than the principles Scripture is trying to teach us. Suitable Bible study methods can help us sort this out. Today we are focused on learning lessons from the law (the whole Bible) to please God. Here is a course link for how to get started studying the Bible with proper methods: https://biblestudycompany.com/blog/article/207
3. Nearly everywhere in the Bible, even in the New Testament, the word "law" is interpreted as "Mosaic law," thus, a bias is created TO OBEY THE MOSAIC Law when none exists. By stating this comment many will get their "hackles up" but we ask you to watch and pray through the whole series before coming to a conclusion. Christ referred to the "Law and the Prophets." However, the Samaritans were only focused on the Torah as mentioned in John 4 which we think is interesting. And Torah Keepers are bound to keep the Torah that the Jewish people could not. Why? It was done in our effort not the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit was only given after Christ rose from the dead. We now can keep all of God's Holy Word through Him because we are in Him. Eph 1-2.
4. A disdain for current Christian churches and practices, which they assume are anti-Law and even pagan! We will sort through this as well. We are the body of Christ. All those who call themselves by Christ's name and are saved. We best be careful to not go against "His Body" on earth. Criticism of a local body is fine if done in love but let us be careful with the logical fallacy of "sweeping generalizations".
5. A misunderstanding of the Grace of God as a license to sin. If one preaches the grace of God that is interpreted as approving sin. When in reality, Titus 2:11-12 shows us that the Holy Spirit will "teach" us away from ungodliness. How do we know what is ungodly? Through the Whole Counsel of God (Bible). The New Testament, written by Christ's direct representatives, the Apostles, gives us an interpretation of the Old Testament! If you are in the Grace of God, you are turning FROM sin...not TO sin BY HIS CHANGING POWER, not our performances to do the law or a program.
6. Today, or in this particular time, after the Cross of our Lord, we are under His blood and have forgiveness of our sin. We can now give Him a gift. We can offer, at the feet of His Throne, our will and our life. He is our Creator and Savior. Read Ephesians Chapter 1, 2, 3 for some hope and change of our position from doing to being.
7. Are you in a group like this? No worries. Remember, always follow the Holy Spirit's leading not men. Put all the teaching you hear against the Word of God. He will lead you. Psalm 23. Feel free to ask God questions and to contact us. We will be happy to help you sort this out.
We will explore these areas of concern that have caused many to become ensnared. None of what we write or say should offend anyone. If we do, please remember that we were caught up in some of these groups, as well. But because we wanted to study Scripture to live a praiseworthy life to God, He led us to correct Biblical study principles. Join us for this podcast. Please share!See full post & comments
#bible #biblestudy #cancer #cancerfree #God #Biblestudycompany #voiceofGod #Jesus #JesusChrist #illumination
Two good friends have a live podcast/video of a bible study the way Bible Study Company studies. Grab your Bible, your beverage, Biblestudycompany.com, and your friends to join us for this engaging study.
Is the wilderness going into the desert to be with God? Are we called "out" of the world (Egypt) but still be in it? We discuss these topics and why knowing what "dabbar" means is crucial in our bible study. One of the names of God is YHVH (Jehovah) Dabbar which translates to Jehovah Speaks. And when God speaks...we need to listen. But is there a difference between a casual conversation (amar) that indicates a relationship with God and God's revelation (dabbar)? Yes, there are differences!
Then we need to ask: "Lord, what is the difference between God's revelation and God's casual conversation with us?" Do we receive "new" revelation today? No, because we have complete Scripture called the Bible, which has Genesis to Revelations. But we do have a relationship with God, and He does speak to us and He does illuminate to us Biblical truths.
Let's find out the differences! Join us! Please share your thoughts, and please share.
#apologetics #Christian #doubt #skeptic #atheist #biblestudy #God #DoubtofGod #podcast
Experience doubt? "When in doubt..." they say. Let's ask God questions. God is our Creator, and we cannot see into a spiritual realm, but we can *hear*, *see*, and *experience* a relationship with Christ; doubts come with the territory. Even the disciples doubted in more instances than we typically realize.
Our special guest is Kedar Joyner, our daughter, artist, techie, Trekkie, and User Experience Designer for the University of Wisconsin. Together we discuss growing up in a Christian home but finding her way through doubt and developing our assurance of faith in Christ through understanding sound biblical study principles.
Is doubt accepted in the church or "frowned-upon"? Who can you go to with your doubt questions? Did you know doubt is connected to anxiety? Did you know that at the heart of doubt are questions? For those with doubt, please let us know in the comments below. We would love to walk with you! Please comment and share. Don't forget to subscribe.
Here is a link to Kedar's art:
Doubt Podcast Outline: (can be used for discussion)See full post & comments
#Jesus #JesusChrist #Bible #biblia #ephesians #dependentongod #Jesuslovesyou #inchrist
Did we just define our struggle in our life? We start our second Bible Study of Ephesians with the biblical study principles on what Paul is communicating what we "are" in Ephesians 1. So we are to "be" in GOD's POWER v.s., not to "do" IN OUR POWER and strength. But this is where we live, in our heads, emotions, and our will. How can we change to "be" in His will? Easy to say, hard to accomplish. But not complicated in His power. Let's see.
Our podcast and video are the practical applications of our DEPENDENCE ON GOD, not on our strength. Did you know Adam and Eve were to have God's help daily to carry out God's will while they were in the Garden? Yes, our lives were never meant to be lived without God's help. Paul explains we are IN Christ now. Yet, our struggle continues.
Adam and Eve decided to do their own will, and this rebellion caused them separation from their CREATOR. Christ came as a sinless man, and also God Almighty, the same One in the Garden, Who was to help Adam and Eve carry out God's will. Through the blood of Christ, even though we are in our sinful flesh, we have the Holy Spirit given to us to help us carry out His will, with "every spiritual blessing," which is HIM!
We can get excited about this and worship our Creator. He wants us to be dependent on Him. How do we practice this principle? By having our hearts submitted to His Word and be in personal fellowship with Christ and realize we are to "be" in Christ. Join us for this revealing podcast!See full post & comments
#Jesus #Bible #Biblestudy #Ephesians #Israel #rockets
Ric and Mary Joyner discuss our "pre-loads" of beliefs and ideas, which cause us hindrance in our biblical study. How do we clear out these programmed biases? Our podcast will discuss exactly how we can change our mindsets by beginning our study in Ephesians.
Ephesians Bible Study with Bible Study Company
Computers come with what we in IT call "bloatware." This pre-loaded software, although meant to be helpful, is biased toward the computer maker. However, this pre-load can seriously slow down the performance of a computer. Ric goes through each computer we buy and unchecks the software to prevent it from starting up and causing the computer to slow down. It uses computer resources we need, such as memory, to perform daily tasks. It has to go.
We are similar to a computer. We can come with preloaded software (ideas and beliefs) that include; bias towards how we grew up. For example, Mary was Catholic and had a bias caused by being in the Catholic church. We discuss the particular quirks of growing up in different mindsets. We can say we are almost pre-programmed toward a certain group, denomination, or religion. For example, in charismatic circles, there are all sorts of denominational beliefs and doctrines (pre-loaded software beliefs) that never get sorted out? These "pre-loaded biases" can split churches.
We explore how we can be willing to "clear the deck" and build a new foundation based on proper biblical study patterns. Then we can eventually add back in the beliefs we hold in a particular denomination or doctrines or toss them out for a foundation based on biblical principles. Are you willing to toss out cherished beliefs if they don't match up to Scripture? The disciples were faced with this pre-loaded teaching as well. Christ changed it all. He even said, "don't build your house on the sand, which is man's opinion, but the Rock is Christ.
Ric and Mary Joyner discuss our "pre-loads" and the type of hindrance they can become. How do we clear out these programmed biases? Our podcast will discuss exactly how we can change our mindsets by beginning our study in Ephesians.
Remember to share with a friend. This helps us grow and get the word out.See full post & comments
#Jesus #JesusChrist #Bible #biblestudy #Godlovesyou #Godislove #exodus #podcast #israel #hamas #rockets
Mary and I reviewed this podcast to take notes, and it is the first one we watched through to the entire end. You may say: "Ric, so what, you did the podcast." Fair comment, but strangely we learned from our *own* podcast!
These principles are what we learned from studying Exodus. Exodus is a picture of our Christian walk, according to Dr. Baruch Korman of loveisrael.org.
If so, what truths did we learn?
1. We learned about His Character.
2. We learned His purposes for us and his wonderful intentions.
3. We learned we could depend and lean on Him.
4. That we should not be grumblers in our tents (homes)
5. That tents represent an eternal perspective vs. "being invested" in the world
6. God will meet our needs.
7. Suffering is part of the package because we are in a dying world.
8. Fear is a waste when the God Who parted the Red Sea has our back.
These truths are what Mary and I rewatched and were amazed at what God revealed to us as we looked back. And we all desperately need God's revelation!
We are taking God's word seriously, and it shows by what He shared with us. We became more and more hungry for these truths and principles, and based on proverbs 1; we can see that God wants to speak to us...if we're going to listen.
Please take time to share in the comments what your Exodus is? And give us a "like". Will you join us? Will you please share? Please subscribe.
Biblestudycompany.com is a free bible study tool
Here is our podcast library: https://biblestudycompany.simplecast.com/
Here are our study notes: https://bit.ly/3broQo5
See full post & comments
The Amalekites are coming! We need a new foundation! Mary and Ric continue the podcast/video on what it was like to start to study the Bible together. We all need an Exodus from the world system (Egypt) and Church doctrines we learned and absorbed. But what if these are what "men" have taught us? We need an Exodus in our hearts that includes wanting the will of God in our lives. Christ, Whom we are to follow based on His command to us, IS the Word of God. (John 1).
When the Amalekites attacked the Israelites, we learned a valuable lesson: Satan uses people. And he can use us if we are not careful. Our reactions to people matter. Anytime anger is involved or if people treat you poorly, make sure you worship the Lord rather than reacting.
Ric and Mary discuss how they could obtain a new foundation in Christ by setting aside what they had previously learned and allowed the Lord to lay a new foundation as they studied the Word with a fresh perspective.
If we ask Him in our study to show us His will, He delights in our new attitude, and based on Proverbs 1; we can be sure of this promise that; The God of the Universe will give us revelation. If we are seeking knowledge, then we must ask ourselves: Is it for Him or us? Our mission is to study the Bible to find out how to please the Lord and perpetually ask Him how we can respond to His Word correctly.
Join us for this authentic and candid podcast of our learning to study the Bible.
We are trying something new to have the blog page load faster. Here are the links rather than the full video and audio.
Listen from your browser
See full post & comments
#Jesus #Bible #Biblestudy #inspirational #inspiration #motivation #inspirationalquotes #weneedanexodus
What is your Exodus? Part 1 discusses Ric and Mary Joyner learning to study the word of God properly and the life-changing impact our lives. Healed marriage, God opening the word in profound ways and His active presence in our lives on a daily basis. Join us for this personal and transforming podcast.
We participated in churches for many years. We can honestly say we did not learn how to properly engage and study the Bible. Is this strange? We think so. But more than not learning how to understand the Word of God caused major problems for us in our lives and marriages, and we looked through nonbiblical filters at the Bible. How is this possible?
Changes in our life created the need for help. We almost lost our marriage. Why wasn't Christianity working for us? What was wrong? Through Dr. Baruch and Rivka Korman, we learned how to study the Bible properly.
Below is a PowerPoint in PDF that you can read the whole story. But we are discussing one of the most neglected aspects of churches which is to show people how to feed themselves with the Bible, and encountering God in a new relationship. He is our Creator. We are made to serve Him. So, why didn't we learn to study His word? Good question.
Join us for a review of the last 6 and half years it took us to learn how to study Exodus.
#Jesus #Jesussaves #Godislove #Godishope #cancersucks
A heart-stirring conversation of someone facing down a GIANT (cancer). How would you react? What would your decisions be? Is God in our suffering? Is God fair? Finding a relationship with Christ while facing down a Giant! Join us for a memorable podcast and video with my dear friend Erv Puckett.
The urgent knocking on our glass screen door came with a surprise. My neighbor, who walked downcast on the sidewalk occasionally with a colts hat or jersey, was at my door insisting we "talk".
The heat and humidity were oppressive as Florida summers tend to cook. Erv's countenance matched the stickiness and blanket of heat. I asked him if he would like something to drink. Erv had his trademark Mountain Dew and thus said, "no need."
I politely asked how I could help. He said something like this, "All these times you have prayed for me while I walked by, I need to talk to you. I will die from this cancer because there is no cure, and I don't know where I am going when I die?"
We spoke at length. He had gone to church in the past and even been baptized. But here, Erv was someone facing a real giant and unsure of his eternal destiny. Why?
This podcast/video finishes the story. You will be challenged. You may be changed. You may have hope you can share. Pray for Erv. We don't know the ending of the story...YET!
If you would like to know where your eternal destiny is headed click here: my eternal destiny
If you would like to support Erv Puckett with prayer you can give $5.00 to have an Erv bracelet: Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
To pray a prayer for a relationship with Christ and to accept His free gift of salvation forgiveness of our sins:
Dear Heavenly Father, (Matt. 6:9) I want a relationship with You...not a religion. I come to You and open my heart. (John 3:16) I will be honest and sincere with You. (John 4) I am running my life and need Your help. (Matt. 6:10) I was made in Your image and I won't be happy until I am in a relationship with you. (Gen. 3) Most of my behavior does not please You. (Romans 3:23) I know I am a sinner, so please forgive my sins because Jesus Christ, Your Son, came to die for me. He is the Lamb of God so I place my sins upon Him, Who died on the cross for my sin. The Lord Jesus Christ was sinless and died in my place so I could have eternal life with you. My relationship starts today! (John 3:16) I believe Jesus Christ is my savior and salvation is a free gift! It cannot be earned through good works. (Eph. 2:8) You did this so that I can be in a relationship with You on earth and for all eternity. (Romans 10:9-13) And, I will forgive those who have sinned or hurt me too, since you have forgiven me. Take away any bitterness or resentment I carry. (Matt. 6:13-14) Please show me and teach me how to live a praiseworthy life on earth to You. (Matt. 6:33, Acts 9 and 10) I know You love me Father, and I want to love You as well and that you have a purpose and plan for my life. Please teach me to pray. (Matt. 6:9) Thank you, God, for saving me to Yourself (Ex. 19:1-8) and making me a new person! (2 Cor. 5:17) In Jesus's name, I pray, Amen! Learn to grow at www.biblestudycompany.com
See full post & comments